Prayers

[Prayers] [bsummary]

Lessons by our Holy Fathers

[Lessons by our Holy Fathers] [twocolumns]

Orthodox Destinations

[Orthodox Destinations] [bleft]

Another look at Matthew 25...

He who gives to the poor, gives to Christ. This is the meaning of the Gospel teaching, and it has been confirmed in the experience of the saints. 

Upon his repentance, Peter the Merciful gave alms to the poor wherever the opportunity presented itself. On one occasion Peter encountered a shipwrecked man who had barely managed to save his naked body from the wreck. The man begged him for some clothing. Peter removed his costly cloak and clothed the naked man with it. Shortly afterward, Peter saw his cloak in the shop of a merchant, who had it displayed for sale. Peter was very saddened that the shipwrecked man had sold his cloak instead of using it for himself. Peter thought: ``I am not worthy; the Lord does not accept my alms.'' But later, the Lord appeared to him in a dream. He appeared as a handsome man, brighter than the sun, with a cross on His head, wearing Peter's cloak. ``Peter, why art thou sad?'' asked the Lord. ``My Lord, why would I not be sad, when I see that which I gave to the poor being sold at the market?'' Then the Lord asked him: ``Dost thou recognize this garment on Me?'' Peter replied: ``I recognize it, Lord; that is my garment with which I clothed the naked man.'' Then the Lord spoke to him again: ``Therefore do not be sad; thou gavest it to the poor man, and I received it, and I praise thy deed.''


Prologue from Ochrid